Wednesday, April 20, 2011

POSE method of Running

I've shared this with Rebecca, because she has had knee issues in the past, because her running style is not mechanically sound. For many of us, we were never taught how to run, we either just did it or we have been taught incorrectly. There is a method that was developed several years ago that the USA Triathlon team adopted as part of their training regimen. CHI running and barefoot running are additional methods that have gained some traction lately too. All of them really emphasize one thing and that is helping the body to run the way it was mechanically designed by taking full advantage of your joints, bones, muscles, and tendons and reducing impact to the body. Running properly also increases speed while reducing effort.

I have a POSE DVD in Moorpark (currently Rebecca is borrowing it) and I have a POSE method book.

The following are some YouTube videos that Rebecca has found to help describe POSE.
The first is POSE 101 by RunnersWorld.

Here is a video to show you bad form and proper form.

This is a guy named jhuffman52 that has posted several YouTube videos showing training techniques to help you improve your running. These are all POSE exercises. Once you click on the link noted, you'll see several other of his videos that show the training techniques. This is Rebecca's favorite.

I hope you find this useful.

James

5 comments:

  1. Frist of all, thank you James for so tactfully dissing my running form. :)

    I own a copy of the POSE book and I have the DVD from James if anyone is interested. I've read the book and I've done a lot of reading online (posetech.com) and I'm a believer. I hired Jeremy (jhuffman52) as my running coach and just you wait . . . my knee problems will be a thing of the past and my form will be better than ever. This method makes a lot of sense. I'll keep you all in the loop as I progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Chad will be interested in this. He has officially caught the running bug and is planning on running the Santa Barbara half with me in November. But his knee is a chronic problem. When you are done, can we borrow it, Rebecca (and James)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely, I have another copy of the DVD here in Monterey. I will be in So Cal again tomorrow just for the day tomorrow. I can bring my DVD down for you to borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, I'll give the copy I have to Laura if you'd rather. I won't be watching it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added a link to James' post for my favorite jhuffman running video. Smooth as butter.

    ReplyDelete