Tuesday, April 26, 2011

If we fail to push our body, we fail our body. James Sloan

Ok, so I'm still obsessed with Ragnar.  I'm looking forward to the Hood to Coast in August and the Las Vegas Ragnar in October.  While contemplating the So Cal Ragar, I started to think about my feet. As most of you know, I had pretty bad blisters from the half marathon many of us ran in Agoura a few weeks before.  I tried to use moleskin, but because the blisters were so big, the moleskin wasn't really that effective.  For the entire 20 miles I ran, the blisters kept getting worse so that by the time I was done, my feet looked like hamburger meat.  I would have thought my time would get slower and slower the longer I ran, but I didn't.  I just pushed through the pain and focused on my run.  I love running.  It is the only time where my mind just shuts down and I think of nothing except my body and the run itself.  It is therapeutic for me.

I wrote an email to my niece who is starting to get interested in running.  I included a few of my favorite quotes and thought you all might enjoy them too.

You don't stop running, because you are old, you get old, because you stop running.
Dipsea Demon 

Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction.
William James

BTW  My feet are starting to look normal again. Hooray for normal looking feet! Boo for orthodics that don't fit.  I finally have a pair that fit my feet.  I have been running with those poorly fitted orthodics for three years.  I need to throw them away now.  BAD ORTHODICS!  BAD! BAD!  I never had blister problems until those stupid things.  Hopefully, I will be blister-free going forward.
James

3 comments:

  1. I don't really get orthotics...what happens when you don't wear them? Because I saw that blister and I can't imagine running through that pain! I can't really imagine running through any kind of pain (do shin splints count?). Clearly I haven't pushed myself hard enough yet. Baby steps, I guess.
    I totally understand what you mean about the therapeutic benefits of running. I call it getting in the zone and I haven't been there since Ragnar. Still hoping for that every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think you have a blister coming on, I think the best product out there is Spenco 2nd skin. Tape it on with athletic tape and then you can put mole skin over the top. I had blisters for a long time until I got different shoes and socks. This post made me think the book "Younger Next Year", by Chris Crowley & Henry Lodge MD. Great book! Keep running!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    I need orthodics, because my arch is horrendous and the orthodics keep my bones where they are supposed to be. It causes a lot less stress on my tendons, including my achilles. I tried for a year to strengthen and raise my arch through strengthening routines, etc to no avail. I went back to my orthodics and things are much better. The issue with my old orthodics was that they ended right at the front foot pad so that any running, especially hill running caused a lot of friction in that area resulting in constant blisters. My new orthodics end within the arch itself, so there is no opportunity for friction on the upper part of my foot. I get the benefit of arch support without the friction. It is so much better.
    Renae,
    Thanks for the recommendation for Spenco 2nd Skin. I've never used it and will have to pick some up, just in case. I'll also check out the book you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete