Monday, April 23, 2012

SoCal Ragnar Time Update

I was finally able to update all of the times in Tom's spreadsheet.  I have validated many of the times from a few sources.  I think these are finally accurate.  The distance is based on the official Ragnar distances and the actual times we recorded for each leg.  We are all aware that some of our times are negatively affected by stop lights, cars pulling out in front of us, poor directional signs and HOT weather.
That's Ragnar!
Here is the summary.
9:40 Estimated Team Pace, 10:06 Actual Team Pace
32:45:42 Estimated Total Time, 34:13:24 Actual Total Time
1) Wade 21.6 miles, 9:00 Estimated Pace, 8:20 Actual Pace.
2) Nikki 19.0 miles, 9:00 Estimated Pace, 8:24 Actual Pace.
3) James 20.6 miles, 8:30 Estimated Pace, 8:30 Actual Pace.
4) Dave 19.8 miles, 9:00 Estimated Pace, 8:30 Actual Pace.
5) 5) John 15.9 miles, 9:00 Estimated Pace, 9:07 Actual Pace.
6) Tom 19.6 miles, 9:15 Estimated Pace, 9:09 Actual Pace.
7) Danielle 13.2 miles, 10:00 Estimated Pace, 10:09 Actual Pace.
8) AnneMarie 14.3 miles, 10:00 Estimated Pace, 10:41 Actual Pace.
9) Rebecca 15.6 miles, 10:45 Estimated Pace, 12:06 Actual Pace.
10) Jen 15.7 miles, 12:00 Estimated Pace, 12:57 Actual Pace.
11) Tiffany 13.5 miles, 11:00 Estimated Pace, 13:08 Actual Pace.
12) Amy 14.3 miles, 10:00 Estimated Pace, 13:12 Actual Pace.

10 comments:

  1. And way to go everyone! You're awesome, what a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. How frustrating. At least I have the memory of my awesome night run at an 8:30 pace. I'm happy with that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, It didn't help that the lack of good directional signs caused you to run an estimated 4-5 miles longer than you should have and longer than the calculations give you credit for. No worries, a few of our team members got lost too. Yours was just a little more extreme. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI - typing in 8.3 miles for Amy's last leg changes her 3rd leg pace to 10:36, and her overall average pace to 10:40. Go Amy! You killed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry am I the only one that does not feel good about this? I know I had one run when I paced 8:47, the other 2 I had an 8:11 and 8:25? That averages 8:43? I'm not as awesome as I thought..............At least we had fun right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki, Give me the total times your watch says you ran. I'll plug those into the spreadsheet and recalculate. We will keep the official Ragnar distances so we essentially ignore any one getting lost or running further than they should have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed that the runners with the fastest paces also had the longest legs. Nice work, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's hard to compare pace with ragnar because there are so many variables. in my opinion, the two most important are hills and heat, in that order. on my second leg i only had a couple miles when it was still decently hot, but that sure took the energy right out of me. regarding hills, no one can run fast uphill regardless if it's hot or not. a runner could have only ten total miles, but if it's mostly all uphill that runner is not averaging much less than a 9:00 pace.

    having said that, i am please with the order of the list above.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said Wade. Nothing goes perfectly in Ragnar, that is what makes it fun. Here's my perspective for what it's worth (not much).

    Ragnar is unpredictable and a challenge on many levels.

    While we can all swap stories about why our times were not reflective because of this or that, we all had issues that included heat, elevation gains, distance, stop lights, poor directional signs or a pre-race injury.

    I think the general ranking is fairly reflective of those that are more speedy than others.

    I don't think anyone would argue that Wade, Dave, Nikki and I are the fastest runners of the team. The four of us might move somewhere between 1-4 in our ranks on different days at different races, but I think we are all generally satisfied with how things came out, because it was representative of our respective performance on Friday and Saturday.

    While I would have loved to end up on top, I wasn't on that day and I am ok with that, because I did my best. No sleep lost here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually we all know that I am the fastest. If I hadn't stopped on my first leg to volunteer at that soup kitchen for 20 minutes or on my second leg when at mile 2 of my leg Tom and I busted out his telescope because Saturn was looking incredible or on my third leg when that lady got hit by a bus but I gave her CPR and saved her life, then I would have for sure had the fastest time! Next time I won't be so giving

    ReplyDelete