Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Legs distances posted

The official route, maps and leg details are now posted on the Ragnar website. We can expect it to change, but for now please submit your top three choices for legs and I'll make assignments from there.

Runner 1st Leg 2nd Leg 3rd Leg Total
1-4.9 miles Moderate, 5.3 miles Moderate, 7.0 miles Hard, Total 17.2 miles
2-5.1 miles Moderate, 8.7 miles Very Hard, 7.4 miles Hard, Total 21.2 miles
3-5.5 miles Moderate, 2.7 miles Easy, 5.2 miles Moderate, Total 13.4 miles
4-4.1 miles Moderate, 5.7 miles Hard, 4.0 miles Moderate, Total 13.8 miles
5-3.2 miles Easy, 6.7 miles Hard, 4.9 miles Moderate, Total 14.8 miles
6-2.4 miles Easy, 6.2 miles Hard, 4.5 miles Hard, Total 13.1 miles
7-7.3 miles Hard, 3.9 miles Easy, 9.2 miles Very Hard, Total 20.4 miles
8-5.4 miles Moderate, 4.1 miles Moderate, 9.6 miles Very Hard, Total 19.1 miles
9-5.6 miles Hard, 5.6 miles Hard, 6.6 miles Hard, Total 17.8 miles
10-3.3 miles Easy, 6.1 miles Hard, 5.9 miles Hard, Total 15.3 miles
11-8.7 miles Very Hard, 4.0 miles Moderate, 5.9 miles Hard, Total 18.6 miles
12-8.0 miles Very Hard, 4.2 miles Moderate, 5.3 miles Moderate, Total 17.5 miles

9 comments:

  1. Ideally, your choices should be limited by van assignments, but that does not mean you should limit your runner preferences to just van 1 or van 2. We'll see how things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave suggested the possibility of switching those originally planned to be in van 1 to van 2 since the van 1 legs are mostly shorter and those originally in van 2 consists mostly of Ragnar newbies. Thoughts?!
    Additionally, we need someone in the other group (Nikki, John, Trevor, Michael, Tom or Laura) to step up and try to be a leader for that group. Any takers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only request is that I get to ride in the van that Chad drives. And also I think the leader should be someone who has run the Ragnar before so the rest of us can pick his/her brain for survival advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. They are all pretty intense. I'll send you my top 3, James. I'm happy to be in either van. All I know for sure is I am not Runner 7 or 8.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really care what leg I run. Just put me wherever you need/want me to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy with my current assignment of runner#12. That means I get the big glorious finish at Coronado Island. But, of course, any assignment will do...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's clear that the difficulty rating on the Ragnar site only takes into account distance. The elevation gain and loss on each leg is posted on the site, but it's tedious to open each leg and try to compare them. So I've created a spreadsheet to help us out. Anyone can see it by using the link below:

    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvS4CkIqzipFdFFGVkY3TkFiQkFTMnExV0w4eXZSclE&hl=en&authkey=CODOp4oN

    I've typed in the elevation data from the Ragnar site, then calculated the average grade for each leg. I also calculated an overall difficulty rating for each leg that takes into account distance and climb.

    A couple of observations: van#2 certainly has a harder time overall, and the hardest overall assignments are probably #5, #7, #8 and #9.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nerd alert! :)

    (But seriously, nice work, Tom. Your spreadsheet is awesome.)

    ReplyDelete